International transaction services
Whether you need to send money overseas to loved ones, or you're about to head off overseas, Nexus Mutual has a range of easy, secure and affordable options.
Overseas funds transfer
Transfer money easily to friends and loved ones overseas through our partners Western Union.
Here's how it works
Transfers are sent in the currency of the destination country. You can only send a currency other than the one used in the destination country if the recipient has an account in the other currency.
International Money Transfers through Western Union offer a number of advantages:
- Removes the worry about sending cheques internationally by mail
- Funds reach their destination quickly – usually within 48-72 hours
- Cleared funds are provided to the recipient as soon as they are credited to their account
Receiving banks may charge a fee from the funds transferred internationally, so you may need to factor that in to the amount you are transferring, if it is for the payment of goods or services.
Send International Money Transfers online
Simply login to internet banking and select 'Transfer/Pay' then International transfers from the menu. Country specific information and help text will guide you through your transfer from start to finish.
You will need to provide the following information to complete the transfer:
- Sender's Full Name (note – must be full name, no initials)
- Sender's Address (must be street address – PO Box address is not acceptable)
- Beneficiary Bank's Name (not abbreviated and in English)
- Beneficiary Bank's Full Address (including Country)
- Account Number
- Bank routing code or SWIFT code (see notes on the FAQ page)
- IBAN (required if the beneficiary's account is an EU country. Some non-European countries have also adopted IBAN's – see notes on the FAQ page)
- Beneficiary's Full Name
- Beneficiary's Address (must be a street address – a PO Box address is not acceptable)
- Purpose of Payment
Transferring funds from overseas to your Nexus Mutual account
We can also receive transfers from overseas for depositing funds into a Nexus Mutual account. The remitter should send the funds in their own currency, and Western Union Business Solutions will convert them into Australian Dollars before forwarding to Nexus Mutual for credit to your account.
See the range of currencies funds can be received in.
What do I need to do to receive money to my account?
- Complete this questionnaire to receive money from overseas.
- Choose the country you are receiving funds from.
- Complete the relevant information in the online form and submit.
- You will then be presented with a PDF containing the deposit instructions. Provide these instructions to the sender and ask them to:
- Present the instructions to their bank when sending the payment to you.
- Deposit the amount into the account stated in the instructions in the currency nominated in the instructions (NOT Australian dollars).
- Instruct their bank to ensure their documentation includes the "Payment Notes" specified in the deposit instructions.
- Please provide Nexus Mutual with details of the sender, date and amount of the remittance when it has been sent. This allows us to monitor the receipt of the funds.
All international money transfer products and services (other than Drafts) are offered to you by Nexus Mutual. Drafts are offered to you by Western Union Business Solutions (Australia) Pty Ltd (ACN 150 129 749; AFSL 404092), trading as Western Union Business Solutions (“WUBS”) pursuant to its agreement(s) with Nexus Mutual. If you are seeking to acquire Drafts, it is important for you to consider the Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”) and any other relevant WUBS documents before you decide whether or not that financial product is right for you. The Drafts PDS is available from a Nexus Mutual branch or on the compliance section of the WUBS website (http://business.westernunion.com.au). WUBS is an operating division of the Western Union Company. Any advice provided is general in nature and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. WUBS does not give you any advice, general, personal or otherwise. Any advice provided, is provided by Nexus Mutual or your adviser. This webpage has been prepared solely for informational purposes and does not in any way create binding obligations. No representations, warranties or conditions of any kind, express or implied, are made in this webpage.
Payments and purchases
There's three great options for making payments or purchases while you're overseas.
The three options for making payments or purchases while you’re overseas are:
- Use secure payment options recommended by the merchant such as your Nexus Mutual Visa Platinum Credit Card, or Visa Debit Card#, or you can add our cards to services like PayPal.
- Use a Cash Passport card which is pre-loaded with an amount of money nominated by you. If you regularly buy from one country you may be able to purchase a card in the currency, locking in the exchange rate.
- Drafts are bank cheques made out in a foreign currency and allow you to send money overseas if you are purchasing items which require a set amount. There is a large range of currencies available and drafts can be sent directly to the recipient by post.
To order a Draft contact Nexus Mutual or download our Foreign Currency Service form - next business day delivery can be arranged if you wish to collect your draft from one of our branches providing your order is placed before 2pm. Alternatively the draft can be posted directly to your nominated address in Australia or overseas.
#Before you submit any card details, Nexus Mutual advises you to ensure that you are dealing only with reputable online merchants, with secure privacy protection facilities. When using online payment systems always make sure the padlock symbol is displayed on the website address bar.
The Draft financial product referred to in this communication is provided by Western Union Business Solutions (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 24 150 129 749 AFSL 404092, trading as Western Union Business Solutions (“WUBS”), under its agreement(s) with Nexus Mutual. Fees & Charges and Terms & Conditions apply.
It's important for you to consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”) and any other relevant WUBS documents before you decide whether or not a financial product is right for you. A PDS is available for each financial product issued by WUBS from Nexus Mutual branches or on the compliance section of the WUBS website. Any advice provided above is general and does not take account of your personal objectives, financial situation or needs.
Foreign Currency Deposits
While you are overseas you can safely deposit funds into your Nexus Mutual account.
Deposit funds into your Nexus Mutual account from anywhere in the world via:
- International Money Transfer – an easy electronic transfer that is as simple as you contacting your local bank to arrange money to be sent to your Nexus Mutual account.
- Payroll credit – contact your pay office to arrange for money to be put into your Nexus Mutual account (current ExxonMobil employees only).
- Cheque in the mail – send us a personal cheque or bank draft to be deposited into your Nexus Mutual account.
International Money Transfer
Specific information for identifying Nexus Mutual and your account is required by the bank/financial institution sending the funds. Visit the 'Transferring funds' section above to find out more.
Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard
The Cash Passport Platinum MasterCard® is a secure and convenient way to carry up to 11 currencies every time you travel. Use it online, in store or to withdraw local currency from ATMs - anywhere you see the MasterCard Acceptance symbol.
The Cash Passport Platinum Mastercard key features and benefits
- Load multiple currencies onto one easy to use Card1
- Smart wallet functionality – Intelligently selects the currency for your transaction. Funds can be used from multiple wallets if required to help ensure your transaction is approved
- Chip & PIN protected for enhanced security and worldwide acceptance
- Access local currency from over 2.1 million ATMs worldwide showing the MasterCard logo
- Accepted at over 35 million locations worldwide
- Reload at a Nexus Mutual branch or online via BPAY®
- Lock in your rate2 for the funds you load at the relevant exchange rate of the day
- Free second card as back-up in case the primary card is lost or stolen
- 24/7 Global Emergency Assistance
- Option to load up to a maximum of AU$100,000 per annum
- View your account, transactions and manage your currency balances online via "My Account" at Cash Passport
- Not linked to your Nexus Mutual accounts
- Free card replacement to anywhere in the world#
- Card valid for up to 5 years so you can use it for multiple trips
- Cards activated for use within 2 business hours
How do you get one?
Cash Passport cards can be ordered on the spot at either our Melbourne or Sale branch or by downloading the application form inside the Product Disclosure Statement.
Cash Passport Online
You can access all your account information at Cash Passport.
- Obtaining card balances and statements
- Locating the nearest MasterCard ATM
- Travel budgeting tips
- Moving funds between currencies
24/7 Global Emergency Assistance
Customer support is available through the Cash Passport 24/7 Global Emergency Assistance service which provides a range of services including providing card balances, replacement of lost or stolen cards, emergency cash3 to anywhere in the world, translator services, help finding legal or medical support and sending a message home. The list of global toll free phone numbers is on the back of the Cash Passport card, and you can also seek assistance on-line by visiting Cash Passport - Contact Us.
Cash Passport – retrieving any balance of funds left on the card on your return
To retrieve the remaining balance on the card, simply complete the Cash Passport Encashment Form located at Cash Passport and fax to 03 9282 0302.
Cash outs are processed within 2 business days. Note: Cash Outs will be converted to AUD at the prevailing exchange rate prior to crediting to your Nexus Mutual account.
Cardholders also have the option to do a cashout online in "My Account", or simply access funds via a local ATM with a MasterCard logo displayed.
Fees are listed under 'Travel Services' in our Fees, Charges and Transaction Limits brochure.
1 Before you make a decision to acquire the Card, please check www.cashpassport.com.au for the latest currencies supported.
2 "Lock in your rate" means that the prevailing exchange rate is locked in for the initial load value only. Subsequent card reloads will be processed at the then prevailing exchange rate on the day of the reload transaction, and will be locked in at that rate.
3 Emergency cash replacement (up to the amount available on your card), anywhere in the world, normally within 20 minutes, though in some remote locations this could take up to 24 hours.
# Conditions Apply
MasterCard Prepaid Management Services Australia Pty Ltd (ABN 47 145 452 044, AFSL 386 837) arranges for the issue of the Cash Passport in conjunction with the issuer, Heritage Bank Limited (ABN 32 087 652 024, AFSL/ACL 240984). You should consider the Product Disclosure Statement for the relevant Cash Passport available at www.cashpassport.com.au before deciding to acquire the product. Any advice does not take into account your personal needs, financial circumstances or objectives and you should consider if it is appropriate for you. MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.